How to order digital copies via DaFo („Data for scientific research”, in German: „Daten für die Forschung“)
With DaFo (Daten für die Forschung) the Munich Digitization Center (MDZ) offers a worldwide accessible, free service for downloading high resolution images (JPEG format, 300 ppi) and corresponding text, if already available as machine readable version.
DaFo provides these images free of charge for non-profit purposes. Any commercial use of our digital copies is subject to authorization and charge. In this case please make use of our fee-based service ERaTo.
DaFo is currently in pilot phase, but all freely accessible online digital resources are included, among them many works of world’s cultural heritage. The maximum order size per day/user is limited due to the high amount of data that have to be retrieved from the archive and provided. Depending on the amount of data and the general service utilization the provision of the digital copies will take a minimum of 24 hours up to 4 weeks.
1. Go to the page of a digitized item. Press the “Download” button. Depending on our layouts, you can find this button either in the upper left part of the presentation beneath the bibliographical data or in the upper right corner above the logo of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek.
2. The download menu is now open. Please change the language from German to English by clicking on the flag beneath the word “Download”. You can choose to download data in a lower resolution immediately (PDF document) or to order data via DaFo in a higher resolution, if the digital copy is released for this service.
3. Please choose the scope of your download. The default is always set for the whole digitized object, but by changing the numbers you can also download a smaller part such as an article, chapter or illustration. Please note that the numbers identify the image number of the digitized object, not the page number or folio count that might appear on the scanned images themselves.
4. Confirm, that you have read the conditions of use and that the downloaded file will be used exclusively for non-profit purposes.
5. Enter the four-digit download key in the appropriate box. You can find the key in the grey box right next to the input field. The download key is generated anew for every use (in our example: 4725).
6. Enter your email address in the section for the JPEG-files. Your email address is used for notification.
7. Please take note of the privacy statement of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek concerning the personal data.
8. Click on the “GO” button.
10. Fill in the captcha field with the characters you see in the image (in our example: ULGX8) and confirm your input by clicking the “send” button.
11. You will receive a confirmation message to the email address you specified including the activation link and license information about your order. A click on the activation link directs you to a website with information about your order being activated and processed soon.
The data will be provided within 4 weeks (at the earliest within 24 hours).
12. After the final processing of your order you will receive another email with all relevant details about your free of charge download.
A click on the download link directs you to a website, where you can download your order. The data are available for 2 weeks. Afterwards they will be deleted automatically, as well as your e-mail address.
Please credit the pictures indicating:
- "Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München" as the holding library
- Page or folio number of the image you use
- URN of the digitized object
You will find the correct shelfmark and URN on the website of the digitized object or in the BSB-Catalogue (OPACplus).
- „Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München, Clm 4660, fol. 1r, urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00085130-0“
- „Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München, H.misc. 33 t-16, p. 244, urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb10737557-2“
Once your work is published as a print publication, we kindly ask you to submit a copy / an off-print to:
Please note that DaFo is free of charge only for non-profit purposes. Any commercial use of our digital copies is subject to authorization and charge. In this case please make use of our fee-based service ERaTo.
For further information and questions don't hesitate to contact the support team of the Munich Digitization Center via email Digitale.Bibliothek(at)bsb-muenchen.de
Please take note of our FAQ section.